3.11.2010

The only crystal balls I use are in lamp bases

Before my brain and blog are completely overrun by the kitchen remodel I thought I post an old draft that I never got around to publishing. Enjoy : )


I had been working on picking paint colors for the haus, no easy feat considering there are literally thousands of choices. I was very excited because I had chosen this apple-kelly green to paint the back wall of our built-in bookcases. {Before you shriek in horror about me painting built-ins know this; there are built-ins and then there are bookcases that happen to be between your walls and fireplace. The former involve beautifully detailed woodwork with glass doors and antique hardware. We have the later.} So I have this green and I love the green but something just doesn't feel right. I can't decide on a wall color to go with it and I don't see how it belongs with everything else. Basically, the green was the wrong choice and I wasn't following my instinct.


My advice for picking a palette for your home: 1) look in your closet 2) have a vision and 3) know thyself.

Rule #1} Look in your closet:
It's a general rule of thumb that if you like wearing a color you'll like living in it. When I look to my wardrobe most of my clothes are brown, gray, white and black. Yes, there is the occasional hot pink sweater, orange T-shirt, and yellow skirt but in general I wear mostly neutrals. Does this make me boring? Maybe to some, but I love wearing brown trousers with a gray top and a pair of unexpected red shoes. I've learned over the years that I like my color in bold, but small doses.

Rule #2} Have a vision:
By vision I don't mean go in the back yard, build a teepee and smoke peyote until you see your spirit animal. I mean have a plan and know where you are going. The best design choices aren't random, they come from somewhere and have a purpose. Starting points can vary from a piece of fabric, a piece of artwork, to favorite place to visit. Begin by gathering things you love and photos of rooms you relate to, eventually you will see a pattern. Think about the type of space you want to be in and how you can make what you have, transform into what you want. The vision is a map, but it doesn't mean you can't go off-road occasionally. Keep your map in mind while making selections but don't pass on something you love because it doesn't quite go. Trust me, if you love it, it will find a place in your home.

Rule #3} Know thy self:
The problem with the green was that is just wasn't me. It wasn't my husband either. {yes, I remember he lives here too} Be honest with yourself. Just because you saw it in a magazine does not mean it belongs in your haus. At the same time, don't be afraid to make a choice or try something new. If you want an all white haus, have an all white haus but if you want a red room, go for it. Color, especially when it comes to paint and accessories can be changed out fairly inexpensively. If you hate it, at least you tried, and you'll know yourself better the next time around.

So what did I pick in the end? A bittersweet orange and I love it!





Boring Before


Booyah After

2 comments:

  1. You and your organized house. Sigh. Your house actually *looks* like a designer lives there!!! :P

    ReplyDelete