3.11.2010

Modern History

My best bud Mare hates blue. Why? Because her room growing up was a blue explosion. Carpet, paint, curtains, bedding, you name it. Everything was blue. Naturally she got sick of it, because too much of a good thing really isn't a good thing. After years of buddydom, I still can't recall seeing her wear blue. Individual style is influenced in so many ways whether it be from childhood traumas or adult inspirations.
I find that my own style is constantly evolving and growing and so it presents itself as a bit of an eclectic bird. I love historic houses with modern interiors. I prefer to be in comfortable spaces that don't take themselves too seriously. I like simple, uncluttered, design with thoughtful details. Basically my taste is classic design done in a modern way. And although I adore anything girly, to appease the Squeeze our haus' style tends to lean more to the masculine.

Figuring out your own style, isn't necessarily the easiest thing for most people. I found when working in residential design it was usually easier for our clients to say what they didn't like rather than what they did. If you are unsure about the direction you want to take your home, I suggest looking at your wardrobe, the magazines, books, and blogs you read, restaurants you go to, hotels you stay in, shops you frequent, etc... I've talked about figuring out a palette for your home in this post. Understanding your style is just one more step in that process and achieved in basically the same way. Eventually you will see a pattern in the things you find appealing and a style will emerge.

For my own inspiration I look to blogs like Desire to Inspire, Apartment Therapy, The Nest and my magazine archives from Domino {RIP}, Blueprint {RIP} and Dwell. Check out where our kitchen style is headed and figure out what style is yours with helpful examples in the pics below.










Modern


Contemporary {domino}


Transitional {domino}



Hollywood Regency {Kelly Wearstler}


Traditional {Thomas Pheasant}


Country {Southern Living}

2 comments:

  1. In your words, your style is REALLY "Classic with a Touch of Weird'. And we love you for it.

    I think you should do a blog on 'an ode to my dress style' where you discuss your unique clothing interpretations that, oddly enough, actually WORK. Ex. This week's cardigan UNDER the tank top (my favorite yet)... and the classic pink cardigan with a men's {husband's} grey pocket-tee and a puffy brown vest. I love to see what you pick out next. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to live in those Domino rooms. -sigh-

    ReplyDelete