5.05.2010

Following The Wise Words of Kennny Roggers

I learned the words to "The Gambler" a long time ago, but I never abided them until this weekend.  I officially folded and walked, no strike that, ran away from the kitchen for the first time this last weekend.  After a few wins {getting the electrical done, installing insulation, and framing a wall; see pics here} we started counting our renovation chips before the deal was done.  You see, we forgot the odds are always in the Haus' favor.
It is a fairly simple concept really, having open shelving for dishes and such, and in theory it is basically a box.  So, it should be easy to construct right?  Wrong.  Well wrong if you don't have the right tools for the job, which we definitely did not.  It is amazingly difficult to make a square box when you can't cut a straight line.  After feebly attempting to cut a piece of 3/4" plywood with a circular saw that decided to die every 10 inches or so, I was at the end of my rope. 
The executive decision was made to hire the work out.  Husband was not pleased.  He fancies himself a handy type of man and he does not deal well with quitting.  There was also the fact that it was now going to cost about three times more.  But I was done.  I had made the decision that the price was worth my sanity and my marriage. 
It took Steve a while to get over the fact that we were failures but I was secretly relieved.  It was nice not worrying if I had all my measurements perfect, all my cuts straight, my construction level and true.  I didn't have to be perfect, I could hire someone else to be.  And if they screwed it up, I could make them fix it.  The only thing left to do was figure out who to go to.  One quick email for a recommendation and that was solved.  I was in the clear.  I finally had the upper hand simply by dealing out of the game.
That is until the Iske's decided to be our backers and pay the blind.  Apparently my best friend has a table saw.  Who knew?  So now the action is ours once more as we start our second round with the bookcase.  Steve's all in, but I'm a bit nervous.  I've never had a good poker face, and somehow I know the Haus is calling my bluff.

Haus Recommends: Playing poker with friends for a super fun time.  This is a good link to all the terms you could ever want to know :)

No comments:

Post a Comment