8.19.2009

I've got it plaid and that ain't good





If only I could manage to get up when my alarm actually goes off, I would be on time to meet my carpoolers. Today was much the same but rather than savor the sweetness of a few more minutes of sleep, I was listening to the radio. I am a geek, so naturally I listen to NPR. My car radio is set to NPR, my podcasts are from NPR, and my alarm is set to NPR. This morning I awoke to the fatherly-like voice of Frank Deford and was lulled into staying in bed a little bit longer once again {sorry carpoolers}.

Mr. Deford is a sports commentator on NPR and today he was sharing the news that the NFL may extend their schedule into August. Now I don't care about the NFL's schedule but I can commiserate with Mr. Deford about how the month of August has changed so drastically. August used to be the time for lazy days on the lake and the last family vacation before school started. August is for the last glass of lemonade and the last sunburn of the year. Its hot {at least it usually is in Nebraska} so its good for not wanting to do anything. Now its all changed and school has pushed its way into August along with football.

Now, if you know my mind then you understand that it works in leaps and bounds and circles. After this entire commentary about sports do you think I was thinking about football? No. I was thinking about plaid. I was thinking about plaid because I was thinking about school and in my mind school equals plaid. Our associations can be so overpowering, especially when it comes to fabrics and especially when it comes to plaid. We think of school girl uniforms, Burberry, and Ralph Lauren. Autumn, preppy, and hunting lodges. Associations are not necessarily a bad thing but I think when it comes to design, we need to give certain things another chance. {mauve and wallpaper boarders however deserve no second chances} Learning to be a designer is all about learning to see again. To see things in a new light, to make old things new again and think in a different way. I've posted a few pictures of plaid used in modern ways to get you thinking about the things in life that deserve second chances. Maybe its plaid, maybe its paisley, or maybe its that old sofa you've had so long, its back in style.



3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with the August statement more! It seems like holidays are getting pushed earlier too, there is already Halloween candy out???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally want to sit in that chair and read something scottish:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to Hobby Lobby the other day and stopped dead in my tracks because they have Christmas out. Christmas in August! I couldn't believe it.

    ReplyDelete