11.07.2009

Its curtains for you, shower door

Oh, the shower doors. How I hated you. Why would anyone ever install these things? Not only do they force you to clean half of your shower and tub at a time, they build up mold and mildew in the track. The first time I was attempting to clean the bathroom, the left door fell off the track and I barely managed to catch it and stop it from falling into the tub. Naturally I wanted to get rid of these things IMMEDIATELY, but I was wisely informed by the husband we were only doing one room at a time and the kitchen was first. So... I not so patiently waited.


Fortunately me {not so fortunately for Steve} I only had to wait a few more weeks. As I was cleaning the bathroom, the door fell in again. This time I couldn't catch it. It thankfully didn't break but it did bust the upper track completely. We took the track off, and hauled it outside and looked at each other like "now what?" I had plans for the day that didn't involve removing the door so husband kindly took over so I could hang out with the gals {Mia and Maddiecakes}.


Removing the doors is a fairly straightforward job, so Steve had no problems except for buying a new curtain rod. {the first one was not approved, sorry hubby} Disposing the leftover doors was a bit tricker than removing them. We removed the glass from the frames and used a sawzall {aka: reciprocating saw} to break the frame down into small enough pieces that it would fit in the trash. The only major snag we had was that the door pictured below shattered when Steve set it on the ground. After some major sweeping to protect the dog's paws from possible nightmares, we had one sparkling clean patio, one sparkling clean shower, and two satisfied homeowners.

Here is how you do it yourself:
1} remove the screws
2} pull the track off
3} scrape off the caulk with a putty knife
4} scrub the shower walls and tub rim well with a bleach and water solution
5} fill in screw holes with caulk *follow manufacturer's instructions on drying time* remove excess caulk when dry
6} put up the new rod and hang the curtain
7} sit back and bask in the glorious fact that you no longer have shower doors








1 comment:

  1. love the title. also, make sure you do not wear clothes you like when using the bleach solution:)

    ReplyDelete